Pattern: Simplicity 1693, view F. I picked out this pattern for several reasons. First, I wanted a simple woven top that didn't require buttons or a zipper. Second, I liked that this pattern doesn't use the dreaded neck and armhole facings. Instead, it uses single fold bias tape. I much prefer bias tape, as it is less bulky and doesn't flip up in an annoying way. I really hate facings with a passion, and if I can get away with making my own bias tape I'll do that instead. Third, some of the other pattern variations have a Peter Pan collar that I love. Next time I'll make one with sleeves and a collar!
Fabric: Polyester crepe in navy with ivory polka dots. I bought this as a one yard remnant years ago and didn't know what to do with it. I'm wary of working with slippery fabrics, so I'm not even sure why I bought it in the first place. That is, until I read about this stuff.
I really lucked out and was able to fit both pieces across the width of the fabric, so one yard was barely enough to cut out the size 10. I had to cut the back out upside down, so if this had been a one-way print I would have run short.
The sewing was relatively simple to execute, and I think I owe that to all the helpful advice I've been reading lately on the Coletterie blog. Just a couple days ago there happened to be a post about sewing bias tape onto an armhole, and I thanked my lucky stars that I read it! I also made sure to be particularly careful about pressing up the narrow hem on the shirttail. When I was finished I started jumping up and down, waving my finished tank in front of my husband's face and then modeled it for him.
"Looky looky!!! This is the best thing I've ever sewn!!"
"Uh, that's nice dear. It looks... great..."
He wasn't very impressed because the fabric was still very stiff from the stabilizer and I looked like a giant navy triangle. He has no imagination at all! After a wash the fabric has returned to it's original drapey state.
I usually make notes at the end of things I would want to change for next time, but I am happy with this project and don't think I would change anything!